Counselors available to help with Medicare open enrollment
With Medicare open enrollment continuing through Dec. 7, the Illinois Department on Aging’s Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) is reminding seniors of the free counseling assistance available to Medicare-eligible individuals and their caregivers.
According to the Department, open enrollment gives eligible adults the opportunity to:
- adjust Medicare Advantage or Medicare prescription drug coverage,
- move from original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan,
- switch between Medicare Advantage plans,
- join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, or
- switch or drop existing drug plans without penalty.
Anticipating a busy enrollment period, the Department is encouraging seniors to make an appointment with one of the SHIP counselors early and take advantage of the services offered at one of the 350 SHIP offices available throughout the state.
SHIP assistance can be reached by calling 1-800-252-8966 on weekdays, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For more information about SHIP, including a list of SHIP locations, visit http://www.illinois.gov/aging/ship/Pages/default.aspx.